In today’s episode of The Untold Stories of Real Estate Investing, host Wayne Courreges III chats with the legendary Joel Friedland. Joel is a seasoned industrial real estate professional with an impressive track record spanning over 40 years. Joel takes us on a journey through his vast experience in the Chicago area, where he has visited a staggering 15,000 out of 16,000 buildings. Throughout the conversation, we delve into Joel’s unique investment approach, his strategies for mitigating risk, and his insights on the current real estate market.
With over four decades of experience in industrial real estate, Joel leverages extensive brokerage expertise to lead conservative yet profitable syndications. After co-founding and growing Epic/Savage Realty Partners, a 60+ professional firm to successful exit, he founded Brit Properties. Joel has brokered over $250 million in transactions through valued long-term relationships.
Joel’s syndication approach uniquely utilizes 0% debt for principal conservation while targeting 8%+ cash returns. Having navigated the Great Recession, he employs a cautious strategy informed by cycles. For his investors, Joel delivers reliable cashflow, upside potential, and mitigated risk through dedication to the asset class and prudent deal structuring. His investments draw on a proven track record of 2,000+ industrial leases and sales totaling hundreds of millions acquired. Joel continually refined his real estate acumen over decades to create wealth for partners.
Joel attended the University of Michigan. He enjoys playing golf and spending time with his family, particularly his 3 young grandchildren.
Topics on Today’s Episode:
- Introducing Joel Friedland, an experienced Real Estate investor with extensive experience in Chicago.
- Friedland’s focus is on mitigating drastic loss for investors through diligent and debt-free operations.
- He offers insights into his investment preferences, such as smaller, older manufacturing buildings over large warehouse buildings. Defining your niche helps focus your efforts.
- Friedland shares an example of a lucrative investment in downtown Chicago.
- He discusses his unique approach to finding an 8% return on investment.
- Friedland recommends investors diversify their investments, capping at 5% of their net worth with him.
- He reveals his acquisition strategy, which involves buying properties from families experiencing internal transitions.
- Friedland and Wayne discuss the importance of strong partnerships in the brokerage and real estate business.
- They highlight the necessity of having a well-organized back office with efficient bookkeeping/accounting and property management.
- Outsourcing, specifically in property management, is advised for individuals more attuned to sales.
- Friedland’s unique real estate investment strategy involving seller financing is discussed in detail.
- Target investors for Joel are described, focusing on affluent older individuals.
- Friedland emphasizes the approach of minimizing risk in investments.
- As an investor, evaluating your own risk tolerance can guide you toward investment decisions that fit your needs and goals best.
- Friedland’s investment successes are highlighted, with narratives from successful collaborations.
- Wayne and Joel both stress the importance of knowing an investor’s risk tolerance as well as how to mitigate risks to protect maximum returns.
- The podcast ends with contact information for Joel Friedland and his company, Britt Properties.
- Wayne introduces CREI Partners and the concept and benefits of passive Real Estate investing.
- Joel shares experiences and lessons drawn from the 2008 recession.
- The episode completes with a discussion on the current real estate market condition and a cautionary note on a potential upcoming downturn.
- A comparison of Joel’s strategy to specialized surgery.
- Joel’s proudest moment with a satisfied investor.