In today’s landmark 50th episode of The Untold Stories of Real Estate Investing, host Wayne Courreges III is excited to learn about international perspectives in real estate investing with Igor Shaltanov. Igor is the founder and managing partner of Avista Fund and is a former professional athlete who transitioned into successful entrepreneurship and real estate investment.
Guided by discipline and a relentless drive for excellence, Igor has founded and managed thriving companies and businesses in Southern California. In 2015, Igor ventured into real estate and established Avista Fund in 2020. This privately held firm focuses on raising capital from investors and investing in income-generating, value-add multifamily properties. Their mission is to provide local as well as international investors with access to US real estate, safeguarding and growing their wealth amidst high inflation rates in their local countries and currencies. They are currently serving as a limited partner to 17 different real estate deals, 3,050+ multifamily units, with a cumulative value of over $483.5MM. They prioritize conservative underwriting and meticulous due diligence, ensuring a prudent approach to investing while delivering value to both investors and residents.
Igor’s professional journey exemplifies a relentless pursuit of excellence, supported by his values driven approach to business and investment. Through Avista Fund, he not only empowers investors but also makes a positive impact on the lives of residents and communities
Topics on Today’s Episode:
- Introduction to Igor Shaltanov and his perspective on ownership in real estate investing.
- Comparison of different cultural perspectives on ownership and property rights.
- Encouragement to ask questions about the legal framework and potential risks in real estate investing.
- Discussion on the value proposition of converting currency to American dollars.
- Analysis of the depreciation of other currencies and the potential long-term value of investing in the US dollar.
- Exploration of the fear of losing what has been earned or gained as a potential reason for lack of investment interest among groups of people from various parts of the world.
- Speculation on the number of investors like Igor who are purchasing apartments in Russia, Ukraine, or passive investing in the United States.
- Personal experience of leasing a single-family home in California, including difficulties and frustrations.
- Appreciation for the multifamily space and its ability to cover expenses even with vacant units.
- Importance of taking pause and not letting emotions get involved in real estate investments
- Personal background of Igor as part of the professional water polo team and his worldwide travels.
- Meeting Igor’s wife in Turkey and their journey to starting a family.
- Roller coaster nature of a career in sports and the discipline required to navigate it.
- Exploration of the potential for social media and the world to create division and conflict. Questions about personal experiences challenge negative expectations and stereotypes in South Africa and Russia.
- Reflection on Igor’s proudest moment: finding a real estate idea with high return and low risk.
- Discussion on the importance of holding value in something stable and predictable in an unpredictable world.
Links and Resources: