In this episode, Wayne talks to Amy Tiemann, Founder and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) at TM1 Properties, a commercial real estate private equity firm.
Amy’s first multifamily investment was in 2010. By 2015, she decided to focus primarily on real estate investing, and in 2017, she opened her own investing and property management business.
Topics on Today’s Episode:
- Amy’s Career: Started as general contractor in construction, then real estate investing
- Post-COVID Opportunities: Office and retail space is coming back everywhere in Texas
- Value-Add Component: Amy buys ugly properties and makes them better/pretty
- Property Attributes: Age, physical condition, foundation – nothing scares Amy
- Now: Good time to buy commercial real estate – anything and everything
- Acquisition: In new markets, Amy considers existing inventory and sets unit targets
- Scaling: Amy’s doing more asset management and less property management
- Smart Building Technology: What owners/residents want based on property price points
- Internships: Located in a college town? Go to the Office of Career Planning
- Amy’s Goal: So many deals, can’t underwrite them all – raising capital to buy properties
- Asking for Money: Are you bankable? Do you have equity? Can you raise capital?
- Lessons Learned: Setting up a fund is pretty straightforward, similar to syndications
- Investor Qualification: Know/understand deals and what you’re doing, including the risks