In this episode, Wayne talks to John Azar about scaling real estate through private equity. John is the Founder and Managing Partner at Peak 15 Capital, a capital advisory and syndication firm servicing commercial real estate operators and sponsors in identifying, sourcing, and securing their capital stack.
In his leadership of Peak 15 Capital, John directs strategic development, client growth, and new acquisitions and syndications. Also, John is the Head of the Peak 15 Coaching Program for new syndicators and sponsors.
In addition, John is a managing member of MACC Venture Partners, a southeast focused owner/operator of multifamily assets.
Topics on Today’s Episode:
- Career Path: First venture into real estate investing specialized in structured finance
- Then and. Now: Aggressive underwriting and similar unwarranted euphoria
- Debt vs. Equity: Peak 15 specializes in equity placements with active deal sponsors
- Nationwide Market Locations: Look anywhere, everywhere there’s money to be made
- Syndicators: What to consider asking a potential equity partner to invest in a deal
- Underwriting: Share and show or stop because there’s no deal to move forward with
- Asset Classes: From built to rent and multifamily to single-family rentals and self-storage
- Capital Stack/Equity Placement: Takes previous experience, check size, business plan
- Establish Relationships: Investors want capacity to do multiple deals with same player
- Financial Crisis: The good, bad, and ugly of real estate investing in today’s market
Links and Resources:
Peak 15 Capital
Jalal John Azar on LinkedIn
John Azar’s Email
Free Passive Investor eBook by Wayne Courreges
The Untold Stories of Real Estate Investing Podcast